Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dun Ducathair, a photo essay



We planned on catching the 815a ferry back to the mainland, however, an alarm clock malfunction meant we missed the boat (perhaps a freudian slip from a tired mind).  Good thing that it's the slow season and there was another ferry at 530p.  So, with an additional day to explore, I set out for a walk to Dun Ducathair, or the Black Fort.  It's "an impressive neolithic semi circular stone fort perched on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic."
Leaving Donica to another cup of coffee I set out from our hostel.

I spied this great blue heron from the porch doing a bit of fishing during the low tide.  I took it as a good omen for the walk.

I walked this road around the bay,

until I spotted this wonderful signage, and took a right.
The road began as a paved gravel drive,
and slowly turned greener,

until it was  true "greenway." I was still confident and around this bend was rewarded with this view of the valley below. 





Continuing on the path became more and more overgrown, but I still had hope.

Alas, a dead end.  Not prepared to back track completely (a half hour detour) I decided to cut across some fields (read as trespass) towards a road on the other side of the valley.

So, I donned my sweater and hat as a disguise.

Success! To the Black Fort.

Up a very steep road,

as evidenced by the ambulance at the top.  I was there.
Or so I thought.  I still had to traverse a massive cove out to the next point.


These three had leapt the crevasse and were sitting on the edge of the cliff.

By the time I made it around they had left but you can just make out the crevasse, and the large empty space just below that will make for a spectacular collapse sometime in the next 1000 years. 

Self portrait #2
Along the way I spotted this snail tucked into the weathered limestone rock.

Getting closer.

An Irish mushroom growing out of a pile of cow dung, for Andrew and Rebecca.
Finally, I arrived at the fort itself.

Charging as an invading barbarian might once have.

The conquering force.

How many invaders met their fate on the rocks below when trying to squeeze past this narrow ledge only to be pushed off by the defenders.
Looking back on the narrow ledge after walking it every so carefully.

A final artsy shot before heading back.
 

3 comments:

  1. I bet the guy in the sweater and hat could have given you directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much enjoyed your story Michael!!

    And that water looks amazing!!

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicole, I was inspired by yours of going up and down the road to the other side of the island.

    It's fun to see you having fun!

    ReplyDelete